Monday 15 April 2013

The Lanes of Calcutta : St Paul's Cathedral


St Paul's Cathedral was established by Bishop Wilson in 1839.Although the original structure was destroyed by the 1934 earthquake it was rebuilt in the Indo-Gothic style with stained glass and frescoes. I am no architecture major so I will just use the one word when I saw the church - Wow. It is beautifully constructed with the long windows and the intricate work.



















Although located in the heart of Calcutta,right beside Birla Planetarium, when you walk in there you feel as if you stepped through a portal into a land of peace and serenity.




Now I am not at all religious and neither did my inner self seek god as in entered the cathedral. It was,
simply put, peaceful to be away from all the noise, the rush and the mad race of a city life. To just sit back on the wooden chairs, close your eyes and let your mind wander and be free from the stress of the mad, mad race to the top makes you realize how important it is to spend some time with yourself.








2 comments:

  1. I am from Kolkata and I have been to these places many times. Yes they are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there musesofachatterbox information or the article which u had posted was simply superb and to say one thing that this was one of the best information which I had seen so far, thanks for the information #BGLAMHAIRSTUDIO

    ReplyDelete